Filing Third-Party Insurance Claims in Oregon

Not all injuries sustained by employees at work are caused by employers. In fact, many of them are caused by someone other than the employer—a contractor, a product manufacturer, or other third parties. In the event that you’re injured by one of these third parties, you can always turn to Mark Thesing for assistance.

As an employee, and as a citizen, you have the right to direct civil suits against these third parties. You also have the right to have a jury consisting of 12 fellow citizens determine your damages. On construction work sites specifically, injured workers are entitled to special legal powers. Reach out today to find out more about the circumstances in which you may be entitled to such benefits.

What Are Third-Party Claims?

In the state of Oregon, a third-party claim is a claim brought by an employee against someone other than their employer for their injuries. You cannot file both a workers’ compensation claim and a third-party liability claim against your employer. Workers’ compensation exists to cover these situations (Oregon workers compensation pays your medical bills and wage loss in a third-party claim ), but there are some exceptions.

For example, if your employer doesn’t have state-mandated workers’ compensation insurance, you may file a suit against them to cover your losses. If you believe your employer’s gross negligence caused your injury, and you have proof, you may be able to sue them. Finally, if your employer assaults you (not in self-defense, however), you might have a case. Some of the items for which you could sue include:

  • Lost Wages
  • Medical Bills

The most common third-party claims involve employees injured in auto accidents on the job. Other common third-party claims are born from situations in which an employee is injured by a defective product, or by the negligence of an independent contractor other than their employer.

Suing a Third Party

If you believe that your injury was caused by a negligent third party, and you want to file a claim, your next step is to speak with a workers’ compensation attorney. I can help you glean insight into your situation and determine which course of action is most viable at the time.

For more information about third-party insurance claims, contact my office. Legal services are available for residents of Oregon.